The Grimbound Bakery Presents…
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground clove
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. milk (whatever kind you want)
- 1 egg
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 c. oats (optional)
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, milk, and egg with a whisk.
- Add in the pumpkin. Instead of using canned pumpkin, you could also bake your own and make puree.
- To bake a pumpkin, get a baking pumpkin (the little ones, also called pie pumpkins) and cut in half. Remove the stringy pulp and make sure you save the seeds! You can rinse them and let them dry, then bake them later with a little oil and salt (or however you want to season them). They are so tasty! Then put the two halves facedown in an oven-safe dish wish a little bit of water. Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour and a half. You will know it is done when a fork can be inserted easily through the skin. After it cools, scoop out the pumpkin flesh from the skin and put in a food processer/blender/juicer with a little bit of liquid (broth for savory dishes, apple juice or milk for sweet dishes, like this recipe. I don’t recommend water because it has no flavor!) to make the puree.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. After this, you can add half a cup of chocolate chips, or oats, or both. I meant to add chocolate chips, even had them on the counter, but completely forgot! I thought of the addition of oats after they were already in the oven. Both would be great in these muffins!
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with muffin liners. Spoon the batter into the tin.
Hack: To easily scoop the batter, spray an ice cream scoop with non-stick cooking spray and use to drop the batter into the tin!
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick is removed cleanly. To make spiced pumpkin cake instead, spray a loaf pan or oven-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before removing from the tin.
- Muffins/bread can also be iced with this icing!